Today marks the shortest day of the year when the light is finally reborn out of the darkness of Winter, and for many, it was and still is, the true start of the New Year. For the first time, I consider myself one of those people and I’m looking forward to welcoming in longer and brighter days!
The winter solstice is the perfect time of the year for reflection. Yule season is full of magic, rebirth and renewal, about shedding our old ways of 2018 and giving ways to new ones for 2019. I’ve never really been one for New Year’s Resolutions, they’ve been mostly half-baked attempts that I normally give up on after a day because they are just *too much effort*, but this year it feels completely different. I’m not sure why, but it just does, and I always feel an eye-roll coming on when I start a sentence with I saw this quote on the internet but it really struck a chord with me.
“You often feel tired, not because you’ve done too much, but because you’ve done too little of what sparks a light in you”Alexander Den Heijer – Nothing you don’t already know
I feel that’s exactly what 2018 has been like for me, lacking that spark, a spark that I’ve been missing for a very long time. These last few week however, something has stoked it, and I can’t wait for the new start that Yule can bring, even though I’m typing it while desperately trying to fight off the flu, which at the moment feels like my skeleton is trying to break out of my body. So, in the interests of accountability here are my plans for the New Year:
Letting Go of and Stopping in 2019
- Stop feeling embarrassed about the things that make me happy
- Stop limiting myself
- Fearing the unknown
- Worrying about what others think
- Failing to care for my health
- My insecurities
- Lazy habits that hold me back
- Clutter; physical, mental and spiritual
Let Into My Life in 2019
- Mindset growth and change; your mindset is one of your greatest assets
- Be more me!
- Doing everything with purpose
- Listening to my intuition and gut feelings
- Anything that brings me peace, love and a smile to my face
- Standing tall in heart when I can’t in height
- Embracing my spirituality
- Books! With a goal to read one a month
- Ideas and imagination
- Magic, mystery and mirth
- *Hopefully* my own business, I’m so excited about this!
So tonight, at 22:38 GMT the moon will be bright and followed by the annual Ursids meteor showers this weekend, and we will be welcoming back the return of the sun! I wish you all a very Merry Yule and Christmas, be excellent to each other and I will see you back in the other New Year!